The Internet has given consumers the ability to view a significant amount of equipment and price ranges via a computer or smart phone. This wealth of information does provide the availability for stereo equipment but not the ability to test or hear. Often, the selection of equipment is based on the “buzz” rather than the physical experience.
The reality is that we have our own tastes in what we consider good sound and the matter is that your opinion is correct. For example, one individual could consume a candy bar saying that it is too sweet and not edible while another person says the selfsame candy bar is not sweet enough. Neither person is wrong.
It has been our task at times to assist customers in improving an audio system. If you are not an experienced audiophile, JoLida would like to suggest a few guidelines in selecting the right audio equipment for your home.
1. Before you go to the store analyze what you need. Do you want the system to play music, movies, games or all? What room is the system going into and what are the physical constraints? What is going to be your source equipment? Is it tape decks or smart phones? Determine who will be listening and under what circumstances? What is your budget going to be? In essense, you need to have an idea of how you are going to be using the system.
2. Look and compare. Statistics report the average man, woman or child in the US listens to a minimum of 20 hours of audio and audio/video a week. If you add in the audio of computers and smart phones, the hours listened can drive up even more. Over a ten year period, this adds up to a minimum of 10,000 hours per person or 40,000 hours for a family of four. To give a reference point, a calendar year is made up of 8,700 hours. The average person will expend over a ten year period, $6,000 for internet, phone connection and some form of computer/satellite/fiber optic/cable TV. Given these time and cost factors, it is prudent to chose your system carefully. Go to the mass merchants to see what they have, but I would also suggest going to the speciality audio stores as well.
3. Trust your Ears. The human ear is a unique instrument that is able to discern minute sound factors. Our hearing senses are extremely keen and most individuals have the ability to distinguish subtle sounds. Most people can discern whether a person is happy, sad or angry in a person’s voice. Can you perceive this type of nuance in music or audio/video demonstrations? Is this a system you can listen to for hours without fatiguing your ears? Are you engaged with the music. Ask yourself, is the sound smooth and clear? Does it sound natural or is it muffled? In the better systems, you will not be able to tell if the sound is coming from the speakers which is often referred to as air.
4. Be careful of the myths and the sound bytes. Myths, such as, 100 watts is the right power for an amplifier or that Total Harmonic Distortion is the most important specification, or that rumble in the speaker is highly desirable are not really relevant. Avoid making a decision based on a non-detailed recommendation of “it sounds great”. These types of specifications are not guarantees of good sound. Beware of the extravagant claims such as the bass is a rendition of Krackatow erupting. You might end up with a system that makes everything sound like a volcano. Be wary of the sound bytes such as "this is an all digital system." No one hears in digital, we all hear in analog (sound waves).
5. Develop Some Testing Criteria. This is setting standards by which you will judge the equipment you demonstrate. Use CD music that you are familiar with. One test criteria that I always use is playing the system at low, medium and high volume levels. Although seemingly simplistic, this is a key issue for the average individual (try playing music loud at midnight on a Wednesday night). If the system is clear at low volume levels, rich and textured at mid-levels and dynamic and smooth at loud levels, you may be looking at the system for you.
6. Obsolescence. The latest technology or the greatest features will not necessarily be the standard for the future. One can look at the number of one year life spans of computers and smart phones to see this concept in action. Obsolescence can be tempered with a system that has high quality sound. In other words, if it has a high performance sound today, it will still have high performance sound five years from now.
Another significant help in picking a system is an experienced audio dealer or a audiophile friend. Based on their experience, they assist you in picking the most appropriate system based on the many of the factors listed above.
Warranty Information What is and what is not covered by the Jolida Warranty
21310 Ridgecroft Drive, Brookeville, MD 20833
WHO IS PROTECTED BY THIS WARRANTY
The JoLida warranty protects the original owner so long as the original bill of sale is presented when warranty service is required. In addition, the warranty card included with the amplifier must be submitted within thirty days of purchase otherwise the warranty period will be reduced 50%.
WHAT IS COVERED BY THE WARRANTY
The JoLida warranty covers all defects in material and workmanship with the following specified exceptions. These are: (1) Electron tubes are warranted for a limited period; (2) damage caused by accident, unreasonable use or neglect (including the lack of reasonable and necessary maintenance); (3) modifications to the amplifier; (4) damage occurring during shipment (claims must be presented to the carrier); (5) damage to or deterioration of any accessory or decorative wooden surface; (6) damage resulting from failure to follow instructions contained in your owner's manual; (7) damage resulting from the performance of repairs by someone other than JoLida or an authorized JoLida warranty station; (8) any JoLida unit on which the serial number has been modified or removed; (9) units used as demonstration or display models prior to purchase by the original consumer owner; (10) units used for the purpose other than home use.
HOW TO OBTAIN WARRANTY PERFORMANCE
If the JoLida unit ever needs service, write to us at JoLida Inc., 21310 Ridgecroft Drive, Brookeville, MD 20833 or email us at email@example.com (Attn. Customer Relations Department). We may direct you to an Authorized JoLida Warranty Station, or ask you to send your unit to the factory for repair. You need to present the original bill of sale to establish the date of purchase. Please do not ship your JoLida unit to the Maryland address without contacting us. Many issues can be resolved over the phone.
If service under this warranty is not necessary, but you have questions regarding the installation or operation of your unit, please write to our Customer Relations department at the address above.
WHO PAYS FOR WHAT
JoLida will be happy to pay all labor and material expenses for all repairs covered by this warranty. If necessary repairs are not covered by this warranty, or if a unit is examined which is not in need of repair, you will be charged for the repairs or examination.
Although you must pay any shipping charges incurred in getting your unit to an authorized warranty station or to the factory, we will pay return shipping charges if the repairs are covered by the warranty. Please be sure to save the original shipping cartons because a nominal charge will be made for additional cartons.
LIMITATION ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE LENGTH OF THIS WARRANTY, UNLESS OTHERWISE PROVIDED BY STATE LAW.
EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES
JOLIDA'S LIABILITY IS LIMITED TO THE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AT OUR OPTION, OF ANY DEFECTIVE PRODUCT AND SHALL IN NO EVENT INCLUDE INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL COMMERCIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND.
SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS AND/OR DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS AND EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. We sincerely thank you for your expression of confidence in JoLida products. The amplifiers have been painstakingly assembled by highly trained crafts' people. It should give you many years of musical enjoyment.